LI Dental Group on Dental Reconstruction and All on 4 dental implants
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are the closest you can get to healthy, natural teeth. They allow you to live the way you want to confidently eat, smile, laugh, talk, kiss and enjoying all of your everyday activities without worrying about your teeth.
Our doctors provide simple and easy options for dental implants. Each patient is unique and require customized treatment plans to fit their mouth and needs.
Think of dental implants as artificial tooth roots, similar in shape to screws. When dental implants are placed in your jawbone (A), they bond with your natural bone. They become a sturdy base for supporting one or more artificial teeth, called crowns.
A connector – known as an abutment (B) – is placed on top of the dental implant to hold and support your crowns. The crowns are custom-made to match your natural teeth and fit your mouth (C).
Modern dental implants have been used successfully for over 40 years. They are the strongest devices available to support replacement teeth – and even better, they allow these new teeth to feel, look and function naturally.
When performed by a trained and experienced dental implant dentist, dental implant surgery is one of the safest and most predictable procedures in dentistry.
Five facts about dental implants:
- Ancient dental implants have been traced back to around 600 AD, when tooth-like pieces of shell were hammered into the jaw of a Mayan woman.
- Dental implants are the only dental restoration option that preserves natural bone, actually helping to stimulate bone growth.
- Dental implants are made out of titanium which is similar to the metal that is used for hip or knee replacements
- In 1952, a Swedish orthopedic surgeon P.I. Branemark discovered that titanium naturally fuses with bone, eventually switching his research focus to the mouth from the knee and hip.
- 4 million people in the United States have implants, a number that is growing by 600,000 annually.